Featured post

Asian inspired Chicken Salad Bowl or what I like to call as Salad Terjun


Asian inspired Chicken Salad Bowl or what I like to call as Salad Terjun

A quick understanding with the word “Terjun”. It means, Jump in Malay. I like to use it because I don’t have a recipe to follow. I literally use what I have, can find and think I can add-in to make the meal complete. So, it is safe to say, I used Terjun recipe a lot.

This particular salad is perfect for when you want to clean off your veges leftover in your fridge. The other night, both me and my husband want to have something easy, quick and simple. First thing came to our head is Burger King or Take Away Kebab Pizza. But, neither of them what we would want to eat. So, I went and look into our fridge. Everything is leftover. My first thought was to make fried rice. But I don’t feel like eating rice.
I took out all the leftover and thought of salad with Asian twist.

Anyway, what I used in this bowl are:

Mix Spring Salads
Cherry Tomatoes
A handful of Bean Sprouts
Paprika
Carrot
Spring Onion (Springkle before Serving)
Cucumber
Canned Pineapple
Coriander (Springkle before serving)
1 dl / 100ml Couscous
Toasted Sesame Seeds (Springkle before serving)

Dressing (Scroll Down)

You do not have to have exactly what I am using. This is just for an idea what you can have.
I added couscous and you can definitely use something else. Bulgur can be nice as well. I happen to have couscous at home.

Yesterday, my husband and I had grilled chicken fillet for dinner and I have about 1.5 chicken breast left. So, if you do too, take it out from the fridge now. Let it warm up into room temperature while you preparing the salad.First thing to do is to cook the couscous. I am using 100ml / 1 dl of couscous. Follow your couscous package instruction. Mine says, 1:1 water to couscous. Let the couscous cool down to room temperature. Because if you use a hot or even warm couscous, it will cause the salad to whitered.

For the mean time: 

Soaked. Rinsed. Drained.
Boiled water and pour it on beansprout to cook it slightly but still crunchy.
Let it soak in hot water for a minute before you run a cold water bath. Running cold water bath is to stop it from keep cooking.When the sprouts are cold, place it in a colander to drain all the water.
You can also place them on a clean kitchen towel.




Soak mix salads for few minutes. I always soak salads I bought even if it says the packed salads are clean and ready to eat. I trust no one in cleaning my salads. Always soak the salad you bought before eating it. Soak it until the bottom bowl has no more sand. Yes! The store bought salads still have sands! That is why I always make sure I rinse my salad.
Spin dry the salad with salad spinner.





By this time, couscous should be ready. Open the lid and let it cool down faster. Don't forget to fluff it.

While waiting for the couscous to cool completely, lets make the sauce/ dressing for the salad.

  

Because I love Thai Papaya Salad so much, I dedicate this sauce to that. It is similar but with a twist.
For Sesame dressing sauce:
3 Garlic (minced)
2 inches Ginger (minced)
A dash Cili Powder
3 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
2tbspn Peanut Butter (optional)
1 cup water
2 - 3 tbspn Fish Sauce
2-3 tbspn lime or lemon juice
1 tspn Sesame oil
Sugar to taste (if you have palm sugar, use it. Yummy!)

For the rest of the ingredients, julienne them all and set aside. For the pineapple, cut them into chuncky bite sizes.


Leftover Chicken Breast. Sliced.

Salad Placing is important. "Feast your eyes" is a thing. Atleast in my dictionary.

1 - Place cooled couscous at the base of your bowl.
2 - Salad.
3 - Julienne Vegies.
4 -  Sliced Chicken Breast.
5 - PSprinkle some Coriander, Sesame seeds and Spring Onion.
6 -  Pour in the sauce. Amount is up to you.




Comments

Popular Posts