Skip to main content

Featured post

Asian inspired Chicken Salad Bowl or what I like to call as Salad Terjun

Asian inspired Chicken Salad Bowl or what I like to call as Salad Terjun A quick understanding with the word “ Terjun ”. It means, Jump in Malay. I like to use it because I don’t have a recipe to follow. I literally use what I have, can find and think I can add-in to make the meal complete. So, it is safe to say, I used Terjun recipe a lot. This particular salad is perfect for when you want to clean off your veges leftover in your fridge. The other night, both me and my husband want to have something easy, quick and simple. First thing came to our head is Burger King or Take Away Kebab Pizza. But, neither of them what we would want to eat. So, I went and look into our fridge. Everything is leftover. My first thought was to make fried rice. But I don’t feel like eating rice. I took out all the leftover and thought of salad with Asian twist. Anyway, what I used in this bowl are: Mix Spring Salads Cherry Tomatoes A handful of Bean Sprouts Paprika Carrot

Mi Goreng

Mi Goreng

 Mi Goreng is also know as Fried Noodle. But, its famously known as Mi Goreng in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei. 


Mi means Noodle while Goreng means Fried.

It has been too long since i had Mi Goreng. I have had Friend Noodle from many Thai and Chinese restaurants here in Sweden, but not the Mi Goreng that i know.
They may similar in many ways, but each of them have their own special taste and deliciousness. It is hard to tell, but if you have any chance to visit any of  countries mentioned above, then i suggest you to try their Mi Goreng/ Mee Goreng. 
If you are living abroad, you know you'll have to learn from many mistakes and keep finding the right amount and the right way to create your favorite meal.
In my case, it took me almost 9 years to date to recreate my favorite Mi Goreng with its staple char taste, crunchy mung beansprout and chives, wet but dry noodle at the same time to it.

 With many failed trials, i have learned that Heat plays the most important roles in many Asian cooking.
I have also realized that a good Wok that able to keep contant heat and temperature is a must in many Asian cooking. Mainly if you are using induction or any electric stove instead of a gas stove. All these years i have been using non stick wok by Jamie Oliver but, like i said, it did not have the ability to keep and maintain the heat throughout the cooking. It cooled down way too fast and it can't take too high heat either. High heat will damage and burn it's non stick coating.
It get the job done. But it did not gives the flavour you are looking for many Asian cooking.

I tossed out my Jamie Oliver wok and replaced it with a cast iron wok. All you have to think about is to make sure your cast iron wok is well baked and well coated with oil.

I have tried with many different noodle brands that i can get here where i live, but in the end, Barilla Spaghettini is the only one that gave me the closest density and taste to the fresh yellow noodle that is commonly used for this noodle if i would order it out in Malaysia.

If you are living in any part of sweden, you will be able to get any of the ingredients from any local groceries store such as ICA Maxi, ICA Kvantum, Coop Forum, City Gross.

Recipe for 2 Adults

1 portion of Barilla Spaghettini
1 medium size Yellow Onion (thick sliced)
1 garlic (chopped)
1 Chicken fillet (sliced)
1 Bak Choy (cleaned and thick sliced)
5 Champignon (cleaned and cut in half. FYI, this is optional. I love my shrooms)
1 medium size carrot (peeled, thick sliced)
1 handfull Mung beansprout (cleaned and drained)
1 handfull chives aka gräslök (cleaned, drained and cut in 3 inches lenght)

Sauce
*In a small bowl (mix evething well)*
2 tbspn Oyster sauce
1 tbspn dark soy sauce
2 tbspn Light Soy Sauce
1 tbspn Sugar

Tips :
Fry everything seperately and set aside. Add everything back after the spaghettini is cooked.
Keep stirring to so everything is cooked at the same time. 
Boil the pasta for 4 minutes with salt. Drained and set aside and oil so it did not stick to each other.

Instructions
  1. Heat up your wok in high heat. Add oil.
  2. Fry chicken fillet until cooked and set aside.
  3. Add onion and garlic. Fry until aromatic. Set aside.
  4. Add Bak Choy, carrot and champignon. Stir fry until it changes its color. Set aside.
  5. Add beansprout and chives. Stir fry until they are slightly char. Set aside.
  6. Add more oil if your wok dried out. Not too much.. Just enough to avoid the pasta from sticking to the wok.
  7. Add preboiled pasta with the prepared sauce. (Keep stirring and adding water as needed because they get harden again while they cooling down during the preparation of the other ingredients)
  8. Once the pasta reached al dente, add all the ingredients back into the wok. 
  9. Keep stirring until everything is well coated with the sauce. 
  10. Remember to add water only if needed.
  11. You can add a few drop of lime or lemon juice because serving it. I did! Yumm!

Enjoy while it is still warm!
Leave me a comment if you have any question. I know i'm not so good in explaining.


XOXO






Comments

Popular Posts